FoodPrints is HIRING!
Things have been quiet on our website all summer, but we've been busy bees gearing up for the 2015-16 school year. Our team is growing and we're currently seeking a part-time FoodPrints Assistant. Read the job description below and pass it along! The application deadline is Tuesday, September 1, 2015.
FoodPrints Program Assistant
FRESHFARM Markets is a non-profit organization whose mission is to build and strengthen the local, sustainable food movement in the Chesapeake Bay watershed. We do this by operating producer-only farmers markets that provide vital economic opportunities for local farmers and artisanal producers, and through innovative outreach programs that educate the public about food and related environmental issues.
FoodPrints is FRESHFARM Market’s food education program that aims to make positive changes in what children and their families eat by giving them hands-on experiences with growing, harvesting, cooking and preparing nutritious, fresh, local foods in season. FoodPrints currently operates in six DC Public Schools on Capitol Hill with children as young as 3 years old through 5th grade. We work in partnership with administrators and teachers to ensure that FoodPrints becomes a relevant, enriching program that brings Common Core, Next Generation standards, and the unique curricular direction of each school to life.
The FoodPrints program is seeking an Assistant for the 2015-16 school year to source, purchase and deliver food to all of its partner schools, and to serve as an assistant teacher with our program at Watkins Elementary. This position requires weekend work, a driver’s license, and reliable access to a vehicle. Applicants should be able to lift 50 pounds and should enjoy working with children. Volunteer registration with DC Public Schools, including fingerprinting and a tuberculosis test, is mandatory. Compensation for this position is $20/hour and does not include benefits.
Food Sourcing (about 10 hrs/wk)
• Communicate with FooodPrints teachers each week. Organize shopping lists for all schools based on recipes for upcoming lessons, in conjunction with what is available in each school’s garden and pantry.
• Shop for the groceries needed for FoodPrints lessons at FRESHFARM Markets, sourcing as much as possible from local farmers. This will require availability to shop at our Dupont Circle farmers market on Sunday mornings.
• Work with Whole Foods market to purchase ingredients that are not available at our markets.
• Deliver food to all schools in a timely manner for lessons each week.
Classroom Support (about 15 hrs/wk)
• Work with FoodPrints teachers to create a schedule for supporting FoodPrints lessons in the classroom/garden – primarily at Watkins Elementary.
• Assist teachers with execution of FoodPrints lessons, including preparation, cooking, cleaning, gardening, classroom management, and other tasks as needed.
Please submit a letter of interest and resume to: Jennifer Mampara, FoodPrints Program Director at email@example.com by September 1.